Alventis Support Forums  

Go Back   Alventis Support Forums > Alventis Support > Alventis Database Support Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2007-12-21, 06:10 AM

Default Internal Error of Type

I'm using the trail professional version of Alventis after adding a name in fileview and then update it in the table i get an Internal Error of Type EVariantTypeCastError at address 0086178C Could not convert variant of type (Null) into type (Boolean). the name shows up in the drop down table list but not in the fields. This mesage continues to display when i click the field portion of the database. I would rthen have to close Alventis and reopen it. I followed the demo to the lette
r. I am running WINXP
Old 2007-12-22, 09:43 AM
Alventis Support Lead

Default Re: Internal Error of Type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I'm using the trail professional version of Alventis
I assume you are using the latest version 1.24?

Quote:
after adding a name in fileview and then update it in the table
I need some clarifications. By "fileview", do you mean "FieldView" (in Designer) or "InfoView". If it's the latter, are you using the Alventis program or the Designer at the time when you get the error message? Finally, what exactly do you mean by "adding a name" and "update it in the table"? Adding a name - of what? Adding a new Contacts record and entering a new Last Name? Or adding (in Designer) a new database object, i.e., a new Table or Field or InfoView?

Quote:
i get an Internal Error of Type EVariantTypeCastError at address 0086178C Could not convert variant of type (Null) into type (Boolean).
The good news is that this type of error almost always means "some information that should be there is missing". Most of the time, it can be alleviated simply by entering the missing info. So there probably exists a very simple workaround that you could use until a new version of Alventis Database is released. But I would need to know the exact circumstances under which this error occurs (I have tried a few things but couldn't reproduce it).

Quote:
the name shows up in the drop down table list but not in the fields. This mesage continues to display when i click the field portion of the database.
Again, "name" of what (sounds like the name of a table?), and then I'm totally confused about the "drop down table list" (which list, where?) and "the fields".

It's probably something relatively simple, but please clarify what exactly you are doing so that I could hopefully suggest a workaround and file a bug report.
Old 2008-01-10, 03:39 PM
Alventis Support Lead

Default Re: Internal Error of Type

The problem has been identified (thank you, David!) and fixed .

It affected creation of new tables and fields on some systems. The fix is therefore in the Designer application (part of the Professional and Enterprise editions). If you are experiencing this problem, please download the patched setup package from our Download page. You should be able to re-install directly over your old Alventis 1.24 installation (but as always, please make a backup of any existing data just in case). Make sure none of the applications of the Alventis suite are running prior to uninstalling or reinstalling.

Sorry for any inconvenience this problem may have caused you!